Thursday, May 5, 2011

Seed Starting: Round #4

On Sunday, May 1, I started my second to last batch of seeds:
  • Serge garden peas
  • Pioneer shelling peas
  • Eureka cucumbers
  • Marketmore cucumbers
  • Burpee pickler cucumbers

I was hesitant to start peas since these are best direct sown into the ground. However, we weren't sure when we were going to be able to get into and work in our community garden plot where I plan to plant these guys. So, because peas are cool weather crops and tend to be done by mid-June when the weather gets too warm for them, I wanted to be on the safe side and start a few, giving them a head start in case we can't get into our garden for a while. The main reason for my caution is that I really want a lot of peas for freezing. They make such a wonderful (and easy) side dish throughout the year and they don't take up much freezer space. Just a winning preservation crop all around!

I am also very excited about the cucumbers. Supposedly these vining vegetables are prolific, but that's never been my experience. In years past, the cucumbers we planted from seed in our community garden plot have always been first ravaged by cucumber beetles in their early stages and then killed by a powdery mildew. So, again in my attempt at preemptive vigilance, we are starting cucumber seedlings and planting those seedlings in our newly constructed raised beds on the side of our house.

I'm glad there's only one more round of seeds to start (squash and zucchini this Saturday) because it means it's almost time to plant! Though spring has somehow passed over us and we've gotten very few gorgeous mid-60s days, I am ready for summer and the harvest it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment