Sunday, May 22, 2011

How To Build Community

Contrary to popular belief, I have not disappeared off the face of this earth. Rather, I've been quite busy with about a month of unexpected travel. You see, I've gotten a new job at Google which begins the first week of June. My last day at my former job was May 6 so I've had some time to visit Traverse City, explore Mackinaw Island, travel to upstate New York, and take in the scenery in Amish country of Ohio. 

Though plenty of lengthy updates about these exploits are to come (as well as some much needed garden work and blogging), I wanted to share this image of a poster spotted hanging in a small coffee shop in Burton, Ohio where I'm currently located. In case it's hard to read, I've included the text at the bottom.


Though some of these make me roll my eyes (e.g. listen to the birds, sing together), others give me some good ideas. In fact, I'm bringing back some Amish recipes and baking supplies which I think I'll share with the neighbors...

So, for now I'll conclude with a commitment to post more details and photos of my travels soon and the hope that the rain lets up tomorrow afternoon so I can plant some cabbages after I get back in town.


Transcription of the image text:

How to Build Community
  • Turn off your TV
  • Leave your house
  • Know your neighbors
  • Look up when you are walking
  • Greet people
  • Sit on your stoop
  • Plant flowers
  • Use your library
  • Play together
  • Buy from local merchants
  • Share what you have
  • Help a lost dog
  • Take children to the park
  • Garden together
  • Support neighborhood schools
  • Fix it even if you didn't break it
  • Have pot lucks
  • Honor elders
  • Pick up litter
  • Read stories aloud
  • Dance in the street
  • Talk to the mail carrier
  • Listen to the birds
  • Put up a swing
  • Help carry something heavy
  • Barter for your goods
  • Start a tradition
  • Ask questions
  • Hire young people for odd jobs
  • Organize a block party
  • Bake extra and share
  • Ask for help when you need it
  • Open your shades
  • Sing together
  • Share your skills
  • Take back the night
  • Turn up the music
  • Turn down the music
  • Listen before you react to anger
  • Mediate a conflict
  • Seek to understand
  • Learn from new and uncomfortable angels
  • Know that no on is silent, though many are not heard - work to change this

No comments:

Post a Comment