Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Set It and Forget It!

When I was about 12 or so, my dad and I got caught in the hypnotic messaging of an infomercial and bought a rotisserie cooker from Ron Popeil, "the King of 'Set It and Forget It.'" I've included an example of the advertisement below, but I will not be held responsible for any poor purchasing judgment that results...


Anyway, when we received the contraption in the mail 3-5 weeks later, we eagerly stuffed it with a five pound chicken and, as the instructions prompted, we set it and forgot it.

Well, it turns out you can't effectively cook chicken with a light bulb which is essentially what this thing tried to do. Disappointed and with wounds that would keep me forever skeptical of television advertisements, we asked for our money back guarantee (minus shipping and handling) and sent the rotisserie back.

I should have known then that (for the most part) anything my father and I agreed upon so excitedly was probably a bad idea. I should have also realized that it was really my mother who had the "set it and forget it" technology we were seeking. About once a week, she in her infinite wisdom would pull out the crock pot she'd received years prior as a wedding present and make something delicious with very little effort. 

As an adult, I won't say that I've become wiser, but I have at least learned a few things about mimicking good ideas. So, like my mother, I am the proud owner of two slow cookers, one 4-quart (for everyday cooking) and one 12-quart (for large-batch freezing/canning).

I cannot recommend this cooking tool highly enough, especially for those looking to preserve their own food. You'll find a use for it throughout the process: In August, when it comes time to can tomato sauce, no method is easier for reducing the volume of the tomatoes than letting them simmer for 18-28 hours in a slow cooker (and it doesn't heat up the house as much as a stove). In February, when it comes to throwing frozen ingredients together to make an easy and  tasty chili (see recipe below), the choice is obvious.

As proof of my undying affection for the convenience of my slow cookers, I'll leave you with an impromptu recipe for vegetarian chili that provided a healthy and satisfying dinner last night (prepped it Sunday night around 8pm, turned off and stored the entire slow cooker in the cold garage before work around 7am on Monday, reheated and ate that evening).

Nicole's Chilly February Chili
Ingredients 
  • 4 quart slow cooker 
  • 10-15 frozen whole paste tomatoes (e.g. Roma, San Marzano, Amish Paste) thawed for 1-2 hours
  • 3 small onions
  • 2 or so cloves of garlic
  • ~3/4 cup frozen, slices hot banana peppers
  • ~1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 1 cup dried black beans 
  • 2-3 generous pinches of dried basil
  • 2-3 teaspoons of chili powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • ~3 cups vegetable stock (Frugality tip: buy a jar of bouillon and make the stock yourself with hot water! Also saves on packaging and transportation cost due to bulkiness of prepared stock.)
- When outsides are relatively soft, puree tomatoes in food processor or blender. Add to slow cooker.

- Chop onions in food processor (or by hand). Do the same with the garlic. Add both to slow cooker.

- Add peppers, corn, black beans, basil, chili powder, salt, pepper, and stock to slow cooker.

- Set on low. Allow to cook for about 10 hours. Before turning off, check doneness of black beans. 

- Serve hot and topped with shredded cheddar, chopped onions, parsley, and sour cream. Also delicious with a slice of cornbread or thickly-sliced, toasted multigrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment