Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Garden Tool for Picky Planners

I've always been a visual person as well as a particular person. For the most part, this has worked out okay for me... except when it comes to computer-based garden planning tools. Though I've not done extensive searching, the tools I have played with I didn't like because either a) they didn't allow me to customize in the ways I wanted or b) they allowed customization, but had such a steep learning curve that I defaulted to drawing the darn image by hand.

Well, call it progress, but I've found an application that satisfies even me, the pickiest of the picky when it comes to important things like the planning stage of a vegetable garden. And, the best part is, it's totally free and super informative, offering a lot of useful information about the plants selected for the plan. Another potentially valuable feature is the array of "pre-fab" gardens  which are both convenient for those not looking to design their own and can be sources of inspiration to the rest.


One caveat: the application is really intended for square foot gardening, an effective (and efficient) method used by many with limited space available for planting vegetables. For those with more room (like me), it's still a great tool; you'll just need to adjust the recommended spacing according to your own parameters.

For today, I'll conclude with an image of what I've come up with thus far for my own garden (e.g. lots of "preservables" - tomatoes, cabbage, beans, peas, peppers, corn, and squash). It's a work in progress, but gardens always are.

2011 Project Grow Garden Plan (draft)

No comments:

Post a Comment